Pfizer Clinical Research Physician in New Haven, Connecticut
The Clinical Research Physician will act as an Investigator and/or Principal Investigator for clinical trials conducted in the PCRU and has responsibilities and accountabilities for trial oversight involving all clinical and medical aspects of study conduct. The Clinical Research Physician is a practicing clinician and member of the PCRU team ensuring 24/7 safety coverage of study participants.
As an Investigator
• Assumes accountability for all medico-legal, scientific integrity, human safety and medical governance aspects of PCRU studies.
• Liaises with other Pfizer sites/line functions regarding the design, conduct and progression of studies in the PCRU.
• Assists with the medical and clinical oversight of all aspects of function and work performed within the PCRU.
• Participates in the planning, execution and data review for allocated studies.
• Works directly with clinical research personnel in reviewing data, performing physical assessments, medical histories, and evaluation of inclusion/exclusion criteria for study participants.
• Participates actively in the review/correction/update and approval of study data, especially the review and coding of adverse events and concomitant medications.
• Supports the implementation and application of electronic health record system (PIMS) in the PCRU.
• Supports the development of Informed Consent Documents for allocated studies and assists in obtaining the consent from study participants
As a Principal Investigator
• Assumes accountability and responsibility for the execution of the allocated clinical trials.
• Facilitates and coordinates the conduct of Phase I-IIa-IV studies, including Early Development and Full Development Clinical Pharmacology studies (protocol development, review, Regulatory and IEC submissions).
• Provides support for the preparation of clinical protocols, integrated clinical and statistical summary reports, and other documents as requested.
• Participates in the review of source data and/or data listings of safety data, including adverse experiences, laboratory data, and vital signs data, to establish the presence or absence of abnormal trends, and if noted, follow-up as appropriate with the PCRU clinical team, the PCRU project team, the sponsoring Pfizer site, and regulatory agencies.
• Participates in the review of concomitant medication and individual adverse event reports for accuracy and clinical importance, and characterizes their relationship to the study drug, severity and seriousness.
• Ensures that all established timelines relating to areas of responsibility and assigned projects are met.
• Ensures that the quality standard of clinical work product is met.
• Develops a good working knowledge of study management and a full understanding of ICH-Good Clinical Practice and Pfizer SOPs, Work instructions and Guidances.
• Develops a good working knowledge of clinical trial activities within the industry and passes this on to less experienced staff.
• Liaises with University Hospitals as necessary in their areas of expertise and joint projects.
• Develops productive working relationships with hospital colleagues and with colleagues at the PCRU and at
other Pfizer sites to facilitate the performance of the duties and continued development as a Clinical Research Investigator.
• Develops familiarity with the practice of pharmaceutical medicine through the literature and by attending appropriate trainings, meetings and conferences.
• Liaises effectively with all members of the PCRU and makes a positive contribution towards team spirit in the PCRU.
• Performs regular On-Call/Duty tasks to ensure continuous medical/clinical coverage supporting the conduct of clinical trials in the PCRU.
• Takes part in On-Site Recall duty 24/7 in case of need or urgency (Brussels). Additional responsibilities after acquisition of relevant experience in Phase 1 clinical research activities.
• Represents the PCRU on company-wide initiatives in their area(s) of expertise.
• Represents Pfizer in external environments (e.g., scientific meetings, advisory meetings, etc.) in their area(s) of expertise.
• Develops, maintains and shares subject matter expertise on Clinical Pharmacology and/or Biomarker Methodology topics and studies.
• Act as the expert Physician in Phase 1 clinical research for Worldwide Research and Development, Global Product Development, Clinical Development and Operations, and participates on/contributes to global clinical research committees (e.g. CPSDC).
• Participates in training courses related to clinical research, pharmaceutical medicine, pharmacology as appropriate.
• Assists in the training of PCRU staff and contractors with less experience and expertise.
• Develops knowledge to be responsible for compliance with Pfizer Standards, ethical standards, ICH, regulatory and legal requirements, national and International laws on health and safety at work, fire prevention and other appropriate legislation.
"Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact."
Medical Degree preferred (MD or DO), APRN's to be considered, with a valid license to practice medicine. Must have, or clearly be able to obtain, an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state of Connecticut (as applicable to job location) and be able to successfully complete a standard medical credentialing process as needed.
At least 2 to 4 years of independent (e.g. outside of a formal training program) clinical care experience, preferably with part of it in clinical trials.
A post-graduate qualification in a general medical specialty (Board eligible or Board certified); equivalent experience may be considered.
Evidence of continuing education/training relative to drug development/study conduct/pharmaceutical medicine is a plus.
Knowledge of local and international drug development regulations (FDA, EMA) and process is an asset.
Manual skills: significant portions of daily assignments involve application of manual skills requiring motor coordination with finger dexterity
Physical effort: duties involve light effort.
Work involves up to 5 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Serves as a contributor to the on call-schedule to maintain 24/7 unit coverage.
Other Job Details:
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.