Pfizer Senior Associate Scientist (Ex in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Pfizer's Rare Disease Research Unit (RDRU) is focused on developing therapeutic solutions for patients with rare disorders. We are seeking a laboratory-based Senior Associate Scientist to execute preclinical experiments in support of the RDRU gene therapy portfolio related to neurological and metabolic disease. This role will have a strong focus on ex-vivo recombinant adeno-associated viral (AAV) vector biodistribution and transduction assessments in preclinical studies. This Senior Associate Scientist will make significant technical contributions under moderate supervision by using established methodologies. In addition, the individual will be encouraged to improve efficiencies of existing protocols and develop novel technical approaches.
• Supports ongoing development of portfolio programs by performing tissue harvesting, dry cryo-pulverization, genomic DNA/mRNA/Protein extractions, qPCR (SYBR and Taqman probes), Western blot and ELISA. Using bioanalyzers to assess DNA/RNA quality.
• Performs AAV biodistribution studies activities from different preclinical models such as rodents and non-human primates by determining viral genome copies and transgene expression levels. This work will include sample preparation, DNA/RNA quantifications, data generation, and data QC, ensuring high level of quality and reliability of generated results.
• Performs activities for different histology workflows; from sample preparation, sectioning and staining, data generation, and data QC. Optimization and troubleshooting of slide generation and staining procedures.
• Work collaboratively with multiple teams to implement data processing and analysis workflows and data storage procedures.
• Effectively balances resources as needed to achieve timely execution of projects across multiple research teams.
• Willingness to learn from other scientists and implement new techniques.
• Assisting with various in-vivo procedures as needed.
• Fast learner that can quickly adapt to changing project needs.
• Stays on top of the relevant scientific and technical innovations related to adeno-associated virus (AAV) and genomic technologies.
-BS in the life sciences with 2-3 years of academic or industry research experience.
-Scientific background and training in areas such as cell biology, animal models,
molecular biology, or biochemistry
-Experience performing DNA/RNA/Protein extractions from both cell lines and tissues, as well as gene quantification using reverse transcription, qPCR, western blot and ELISA
-Willingness to learn new laboratory techniques is required.
-Experience with tissue histology, including cryostat, microtome and/or vibratome sectioning well as staining (Immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence) is highly preferred.
-Experience with handling laboratory rodents is highly preferred
-Experience with AAV is highly desired.
-Evidence of scientific accomplishments in the form of publications and presentations preferred.
-Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development