Pfizer Principal Scientist, Gene Therapy in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Principal Scientist, Gene Therapy
Pfizer's Rare Disease Research Unit (RDRU) is focused on developing therapeutic solutions for patients with rare disorders. We are seeking a Principal Scientist to be part of an interdisciplinary team to execute and oversee preclinical studies in support of Pfizer's gene therapy portfolio. This role will have a strong focus on gene therapy delivery related to rare neurological, metabolic and cardiac diseases. The Principal Scientist will be a leader in the laboratory, as well as a member of cross-functional and collaborative project teams. In addition, the individual will use their scientific judgment in making decisions within their area of expertise, proactively gather input from colleagues and develop novel processes to ensure efficient and timely execution of the team's deliverables. This Principal Scientist should have advanced expertise in at least one of the following areas (advanced imaging techniques, adeno-associated virus biology, animal model development, biochemistry and/or cell pathology) and working knowledge of the remaining areas.
• Design and execute preclinical AAV studies evaluating vector performance in rare neurological, metabolic and/or cardiac diseases.
• Support project planning and proposals for new indication concepts
• Generate quality data and lead aspects of AAV-based gene therapy projects in the RDRU pipeline.
• Partner with other Pfizer Research and Development teams, especially those in drug metabolism and safety to develop translational preclinical packages with the goal of identifying gene therapy drug candidates.
• Support high-priority projects in the RDRU portfolio
• Work with external collaborators and Contract Research Organizations.
• Ph.D. in the life sciences with > 4 years of post-doctoral experience.
• Scientific training and hands-on experience with AAV, advancing in vitro and in vivo microscopy and animal model development/testing is highly preferred.
• Understanding of anatomy and degenerative/inflammatory disease processes is desirable.
• Strong leadership and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
• Evidence of scientific accomplishments in the form of publications and presentations.
• Experience supporting a multidisciplinary project team including generating high-quality data in a time-sensitive environment, assimilating new information from multiple sources, and effectively communicating with internal and external scientists.
• Creative, self-motivated and the ability to work independently including analysis and troubleshooting of experimental results and reviewing literature to formulate new approaches.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
Research and Development